Nelly Stharre Interview

Posted by Ayeola | 9:25 PM

The question of whether culture can be separated from politics has been asked time and time again without any conclusive answers. Over the last twenty-five years Governments have come to realize the tremendous power of music, regardless of the genre. Entertainers have also realized how crucial a role they play in the advancement of socio-political, religious and economic issues that affect millions of people internationally. Thus in this time an entertainer can either be the voice of the people, a perpetrator of hype and propaganda or a conscious analyst, whose mission is to inspire and educate all who come in contact with his or her music. As an entertainer one must accept the responsibility that comes with having the power to sway opinions, and to influence the behaviour of mannerism of thousands of people through one song.

Nelly Stharre’s music through her sophomore album Soul Country established her as a social commentator of exceptional relevance, especially in these crucial times. Born in her native Dominica, Nelly's introduction to music was a song entitled "Wake up Mike" written in the heat of general elections in Dominica in 1989. The song was intended to make Dominicans laugh at the unrealistic promises of politics. However, the song was categorized as being a classic. Nelly says she hails from the Nature Island of "Waitukubuli", which was later 'rediscovered' and named Dominica by Christopher Columbus. Born in 1974 the year the Dread Act was passed, under the Tribe of Joseph in the month of February. "They call us "Revolutionary Babies." As a child Nelly grew up in a home where music was ever present. Her favourite artists included the late Nina Simone, known for her unapologetic stance against injustice and racial discrimination. Nelly's other favourite was Billy " Lady Day" Holiday who wrote a number of indelible chapters in Jazz and whose anthem " God Bless The Child that Got His Own" inspired millions, Nelly Stharre included.

Nelly’s music is a unique amalgamation of world beats and fusions, that to date has produced an exquisite and exciting blend of 'One Drop reggae', with songs like “Prick An Eye,” “Building Bridges," and "Inside Of Me" from her RainJah collection; and from her latest album Soul Country "Poor In My Pocket" and “Peace In The Middle East". Soul Country was produced by the inimitable Clive Hunt, who has also worked with other French artists such as Alpha Blonde from Cameroon, Pierpoljak out of France, Boukman Eksperyans, Haiti's leading band, Kreyol Syndikat and "Rai" music Star Khaled from Algeria. As a Rastafarian, Nelly has brought musicians to their feet at Dominica's World Creole Music Festival, the St. Lucia Jazz Festival, at live events in Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Grenada, Miami, London, Trinidad and Reggae Sumfest in Jamaica. She brings to centre stage an attitude that comprises a sense of purpose and an authenticity as a Caribbean woman. Her music also echoes and fully endorses her versatility as an exceptional Reggae, Jazz, Blues and world Beat artiste, who's understanding of Caribbean culture has influenced her unique sound.

Nelly is married to Govan Wiggan, a Jamaican who plays an active role as manager and administrator, of their Calabash Heights International Records based in Jamaica and Dominica. Her music has always been ahead of it's time; her new, clear approach to music in general has influenced forward thinking artists throughout the English and French Speaking Caribbean. Singer, songwriter, entertainer and musicologist, Nelly Stharre's music brings into sharp focus an in-depth understanding of Reggae and RastafarI. She also demonstrates on albums such as Soul Country, that she has an international awareness of the power of music, especially Reggae. She is now using this influence as was seen in her recent 2010 Year of the Child Concert held in Dominica, proceeds of which will go to a local charity aiding troubled youth. She has also gone into the world of film production, with the release of the DVD Dominica the Secret Garden.
(adapted from Nelly's MySpace page)

Influential RastararI Woman, Producing Singer and Nature Island Girl…Nelly Stharre you are officially Lime Certified!







Q&A


1. I remember you in High School as having great comic timing and a natural on the stage. Though you are still on stage do you see acting in your future?


At school I was very much involved in drama and acting. I used to write songs that talked about all the things that bothered me about school, society, even at home. And even at an early age I realized how young people were not respected for their views or their contributions to the building up or breaking down of our society- even though we played a major role...We were the future...And so, even At that young age the stage became a medium for us to get thru to the people, bringing our point accross through the arts...In those days acting was what I fully enjoyed the most. As a child no one wants to hear serious issues directly, so we did comedy skits about different agendas that affected us. A lot of them were satires about the things we take for granted like how teachers would deal with children speaking patwa (Creole) in school, hygiene, or having a white Christmas in the tropics. We never knew what ‘chestnuts’ were or ‘dashing thru the snow’ even. For years I thought ‘Dashing’ was Dasheen and associated it with digging. So for me, it was more appropriate to say bread-nut (as opposed to chestnut) or dashing thru laboo (mud) or Romeo asking Juliet to speak patwa because she came from country not England...But those times called for those things. Today I love my music. To I, music is the weapon of the people with no guns and ammunition. I love singing and I don't think I would take up acting more than doing some charity work for a cause.


2. What did you do yesterday?
I travelled from Dominica to Antigua to Kingston Jamaica


3. Can you tell us about the transition from living in Dominica to living in Jamaica?
First of all, I love being a Dominican ... I Think I was privileged to be born in one of the most enchanting places in the world... Mother Nature takes it to a next level in Dominica. My connection in Jamaica is not just thru music but it is because My Kingman (of the past 15 years) is Jamaican and our Youths are Jamaicans...
Like they love to say, as much as Dominica is a glorious place to live we still have a lot of growing to do. Fromthe implementation of the Dread Act in the seventies to today, DA has not moved far from the mentality of discrimination towards Rasta people. This discrimination has become so rooted in our culture that people don't even realize it, but it is obvious... In my opinion it is only Rasta that can bring my little paradise to the next level: Overstanding Nature and utilizing what we have to bring development without destroying her beauty.
Jamaica on the other hand, in spite of what the media puts out to the world, is my second home... I love the pride in Jamaican people-- even the sweety vendor on the side of the street. She knows herself, her history, where she coming from; and even though she sits on the side of the road, everyday she will tell you about Marcus Garvey and Nanny of the maroons-even Obama and Osama. Jamaicans take pride in educating their people. Not just in schools but also thru the media, arts, culture. So much we can learn from each other. Not trying to criticize Dominica, because we are advantageous in so many ways over Jamaica. The number one for me is that we cannot go hungry or thirsty it such a fruitful place. Jah has blessed us with so much it is questionable why we cannot move forward and become one of the richest countries in this hemisphere. My thing is, we are still restricted in as to what we can talk about on the radio, the programs that are shown on our local television, what we write in the chronicles. There is no room for questioning; just acceptance of what is put before us as in a typical Catholic society. Listen, I could go into detail about it but let’s just leave it simple. We do have a lot of work to do. As for my family, we are nomads moving from place to place… I love taking them to the hot water pools in Wotten Waven, or alone on miles of beach in La Plaine, or Portsmouth in the north of Dominica; and I also love when I walk in the streets in Jamaica with my tribe and everyone hails them up with raspect and royalty rather than confronted with the question over and over about why my children have their dread lox and why I didn't I give them the choice. Hey, my parents did not give me a choice whether I wanted to be baptized in the Catholic church; but they can feel free to ask my youths about themselves and I guarantee they would not ask them twice...but hey that's a whole other essay...


4. Why RastafarI?
I did not choose RastafarI -RastafarI chose I


5. Who would you most like to have met before they died? What would you have told them?
There are so many great people we would have loved to meet... but I know that everyone who is significant to our growth as spiritual beings in this life and the next, over and over come to us... and I would much rather meet them and tell them thank you...again and again.


6. Do you have a morning routine?
If I am at home and not on the road, I give thanks; even before I even open up my eyes. The fact that the sun rises into a new day is so much to give thanks for. I give Jah thanks for everything-love, life, my children, my troubles and tribulations-I give thanks for them;
and a great Kingman: a supportive and wonderful father. I give thanks for the strenght of all the people around me. Then I rise at 5:00 and wake up the youts at 5:30 to get them ready for school, prepare breakfast, snacks, jump in the car, pick up the carpool, three stops for school…home...do homely things, do my best to find the time to do my voice exercises. That’s my morning routine. My evening routine is another thing.


7. Name your top five favourite artists (not including your self)
I have seven
*Burning Spear
*Queen Omega
*Culture
*Peter Tosh
*Sister Cristine
*Steele Pulse
*Daweh Congo


8. What is always on your beside table?
Bible, herb, pipe.


9. What kind of tree best describes you?
Baobab Tree. If you have never seen one look it up.


10. If you could spy on anyone who would it be and why?
I would not spy on anyone for any reason





Go With Your Gut

11. Which is the best place for a date, beach or sofa?
Neither.


12. Which do you prefer-a sexy smile or great hands (on a guy)?
He could be toothless; with rough, working hands- now that’s a real man


13. Rooftop party or basement party?
Depends on the host.


14. Knowledge or wisdom?
Wisdom.


15. Good food or good lovin?
Both.






Finish It


16. Men just want to be men.

17. If I had superhuman powers I would want to teach people how to get along.

18. Condoms cannot solve the problem.

19. Reggae music is love.

20. Nelly Stharre is a musical revolutionary!




My favorite Nelly Stharre song "Peace and Love" enjoy!



Dominica the Secret Garden



myspace

facebook

Bookmark and Share
0 comments