The first time I saw Shawn "Da Ma$tamind" Noel was Houston Caribfest, on the big stage. I forget the year. He was playing guitar, for Asylum I think. Little did I know then what joy he would be bringing to my life. Well come to think of it, he was already bringing joy to my life-- i just didn't know it yet... Whether it's Fay-Ann Lyons' commanding you to "Breakaway" on the Pot O' Gold Riddim, Bunji and Patrice wooing you to to "Come to the Islands" or Crazy and 3rd Bass' charming you with a fresh spin on the classic "Nani Wine," know this my people, my people....those wicked HOT beats come courtesy of Mastamind Productions, the company he started five years ago with his wife Natasha.


So lemme finish name drop nuh. Leon Coldero- "Kalawaite;" Rikki Jai -"Last Band;" Shurwayne Winchester-"Don't Stop," "Alequa," Open De Gate;" Nadia Batson"Pon Mi Backside" (on the Estrogen Riddim); Benjai" Today Is Carnival" on the Nutmeg Riddim....and I can go on and on. Over 400 songs, 19 albums and a who's-who of collaborations later, Shawn is still aiming for more successes and more collaborations.


Shawn Noel, the youngest of three boys, was born in Siparia, Trinidad . While attending Siparia Boys' R.C., he learned to play the guitar and the cuatro. By age 8 he was a member of his families Parang Group Dulzura Caliente where his Mom Hazel Noel was the lead vocalist his Dad Simon was the Guitarist his brother Selvon was the panist, his other brother Shedron played the box bass and Shawn of course played the cuatro. He then joined the church choir and taught himself to play the keyboards.

At St. Benedict's College in La Romain, Shawn studied the sciences, but his love for music never wavered and by form five he joined Joey Rivers' Band Rhythm and Moods . At Joey's studio, Shawn learned to create his own beats, and this was when his mom, realizing her son's potential, purchased a computer and some producing programs to encourage Shawn's musical growth.

By the time he graduated, Shawn then started studying to become an electrical engineer this is where he was approached by Junior of the Sensation Band , he quickly grabbed at the opportunity and became the keyboardist for the band. The Sensation Band had recently teamed up with Bunji Garlin and this is where he first met his first inspiration, Daryl Braxton, who at the time was producing for the vocalist in the band. Shawn let Daryl listen to some of his earlier attempts at producing, and he encouraged him to sit in on some of his recording sessions and this inspired Shawn to take producing seriously.

In 2003, the Sensation Band , now known as The Asylum, was on tour in the United States and while on tour, Bunji Garlin became aware of Shawn's Talents, he was producing beats using the bands equipment, Bunji invested in a laptop and it was fuel to Shawn's producing fires. So I guess it was only fitting that Bunju dubbed him Da Mas$tamind.....a fitting title for someone who has contributed orignial and creative sounds to the Soca genre.

He then hooked up with Budha, a well known producer from the Producer's Coalition of America (this group is responsible for producing music for some of Hip Hop and R&B's well known artists such as Queen Latifah, Busta Rhymes, Destiny's Child, and Dr. Dre). Budha took Shawn under his guide and introduced him to professional producing software, giving him a crash course on it's technicalities. By the end of 2003 Shawn had produced several songs on Bunji's Graceful Vengeance album, including "Warrior Cry" ( Trinidad and Tobago 's Soca Monarch 2004), The Latin beats of "Snake Oil" (Part 2) and the soulful rhythms of "One Family". He then went on to co-produce the Nightshift Riddim, working with Machel Montano, Benjai, Gailann, Maximus Dan, Mistah Shak (his eldest brother) and Collis Durante.

In 2005 Shawn did it again, he produced two riddims that year, the Pot O' Gold and the Nutmeg Riddim, and Bunji Garlin's Song "Blaze De Fire" on the Pot O' Gold Riddim again won him 1st Place at the International Soca Monarch competition.

In 2006 Shawn pulled a hat trick and produced and composed the music behind Shurwayne Winchester's "Don't Stop", which won him 1st Place in the International Groovy Soca Monarch (yes, my people, again). It was also this year that Mastamind Productions started their annual Soca compilation Da Mastamind Project and their Christmas Compilation A Mastamind Christmas.

Shawn is now a front line singer for Y.O.U, Shurwayne Winchester's band, and no it wasn't a fly-by night kind, random occurrence. His journey to center stage has long been in the making. Mistah Shak wrote the lyrics for his first song called "I Produce This." In 2007 he teamed up with well known Chutney Soca artiste Rikki Jai on "Pagal." With humorous Soca artiste Patch Shawn poked fun at ladies who have de horse tail on "she head" on a track entitled "De Tail Gone," More collaborations followed: 2008's "J'Ouvert Jam" with Lyrikal, "Rum and Roti" with Patch, which also secured them a spot in the 209 Soca Chutney Monarch finals and International Groovy Soca Monarch.

His latest release is "Wuk-Up Heaven"which I have included below. You can log on to his Official Website to listen the many songs he has produced for other artists, including the parang favorites he has produced like this one (click).


Multi-talented, award-wining Soca genius, Who-put-great-beats-out-deh-for-us-to wuk-up-andwine-down, and always-make-sure-to-big-up-de-wifey-and-give-her-she-props.....Shawn "Da Ma$tamind" Noel ....you are officially The Lime certified!



Q&A

1. What was the first song you produced that you heard on the radio? What did you do?
I think that was Bunji Garlin’s “One Family”. I was in a taxi at the time heading from Siparia to San Fernando and all I could do was smile, proud that music I’d produced was playing on radio.


2. Who is your dream collaboration with?
Wow! Uhmmm… Well, I was able to achieve one of my dream collaborations so far. That was with my mother who had passed away before I had really started producing music. But thanks to technology…Other than that, my influences are varied so to pick one dream collaboration is hard… Stevie Wonder to Busta Rhymes to Adam Levine from Maroon 5 to Linkin Park and several others in between.


3. What kind of car describes you?
I’m just simple and fun loving; not quite sure what kind of car would embody that though. But my dream car… these days, is a black Mercedes-Benz S500. There are cars… then there’s Mercedes-Benz! Damn! Sounds like an ad right there. I’m calling them as soon as I’m finished with this. Hahaha!


4. Has anyone told you something to make you cry?
Yep… Happened a few times already. I’m not ashamed of it.


5. If you could spy on anyone, who would it be and why?
Hmmm… Being a producer myself, I’d have to say super-producer Timbaland. I’ve always been a huge fan of his work. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in his studio!


6. What is the naughtiest thing you’ve done in public?
No comment.


7. What is your most used word or phrase?
Antidisestablishmentarianism. LOL!!!


8. Is there anything about your success that you find surprising?
Well honestly, the bit of success I’ve experienced so far in itself is a bit of a surprise still. That’s because year after year, more and more, the success of an artiste depends on “who yuh know”, “who is yuh friend” and “who yuh good with”. The merit of your music doesn’t necessarily play that much a part anymore
So for little old me, it’s still kind of surprising that I was able to enjoy a bit of success.


9. If you only had 5 hours in your favorite city in the world where would you go and what would you do?
My “favorite city” isn’t quite a city… it’s a little town in south Trinidad: Siparia; and I’d spend every minute of those 5 hours with the people I grew up with. My immediate family and my extended family in Prana mean the world to me and I love each and every one of them.


10. What is your favorite:
Boy’s name?-Shawn (I made that one too easy, wheh:-)

Actor-Denzel Washington

Place to watch the world go by- The beach

Sport-Football. I wish I’d learned to play.

Breakfast food- Eggs






Go With Your Gut

11. Knowledge or wisdom?
Both

12. Sea bath or hot spring?
Sea bath

13. Scenic drive or exhilarating hike
Scenic drive

14. Custard or jello?
Jello

15. Board games or movies?
Both






Finish It

16. I laugh the most when I’m around my brother Shedron.

17. Women just drive us men crazy, but we can’t help but love them!

18. I am proud that I am able to do what I love for a living.

19. Condoms were invented for a good reason; Use them!

20. Ma$tamind Productions is celebrating 5 years in existence this year. Thank God and thanks to the real driving force behind the company, Mrs. Ma$tamind herself, Natasha Andrews-Noel. (see, what a good hubby:-)



A 20 Questions first! First time I put four pics...don't they look cute? (Shawn and his wife Natasha)...actually here's another first--Shawn is my first Trini 20Questions interview!


Click HERE to view Shawn's Response to our Questions about Soca

mastamusic.com
Mastamind on Facebook
myspace.com/shawnmastamindnoel



'Don't Stop performed by Shurwayne Winchester produced by "Da Ma$tamind"--Winner of the 2006 Soca Awards for "Soca Chutney Song of the Year", "Favorite Groovy Soca - Male", this Soca ode to the Indian woman garnered Winchester the "2006 Overall Male Soca Artist of the Year" award.



"The Last Band" Rikki Jai produced by "Da Ma$tamind" and featured on VP Records Soca Gold 2007



"Wuk-up Heaven" performed and produced by Shawn "Da Ma$tamind" Noel!
!



And look some Parang flava!!!

Bookmark and Share
0 comments