Sophia Brown Interview

Posted by Ayeola | 10:55 PM

Beautiful, talented and extremely passionate about music would be the best way to describe the 5ft 3 dynamo vocalist who is Sophia Brown. She recently released her debut album "The Spotlight" this April. A full fledged performer by choice, Brown has been in the music business for over a decade and is still as persistent now as she once was. "I want to be the first female reggae artiste to win the coveted Grammy Award," she says.


Sophia got her introduction to the world of entertainment as a dancer and with her exceptional skills in choreography she created routines for songs by Dancehall pioneers Barrington Levy, Little John and Michael Palmer. Her talent as a singer came to the forefront after a progressive relationship with the Jamaica Tourist Board developed into her doing live performances on what was then called the Appleton Estate Tour.


Supported by her family and friends, Sophia left her St. Elizabeth home in 1988 to live in St. Catherine-a short distance away from the music capital of Kingston Jamaica. Her first break as a singer came with the Outta National produced single "Jig Mi." -a harmonious track that gave Sophia her very first local listenership on radio. Recognition of her vocal abilities soon followed and in no time she was off doing big shows performing on the same stage with top-rated reggae acts such as Shabba Ranks, Lady Patra, Frankie Paul, Richie Stephens and Doug E. Fresh.


By 1992 Sophia was performing at international music festivals such as Reggae Sunsplash in Montego Bay. That same year, a collaboration with the renowned Mad Professor from Europe flung open many doors for the singer and landed her recording projects across the globe starting with the Cayman Islands in 1995 where she voiced for Strawberry Records which later sold out to CMI Records. Securing a four-year, four-album deal with CMI, Sophia’s plans were soon dashed when the company crashed shortly after.

Undeterred, she stayed focused and managed to form an alliance called Music Mecka with Dale Dunkley. This production house was responsible for a host of singles released during that period, namely "Baby Tonight" and "Give it Up"-both of which enjoyed favorable airplay. In the years preceding Sophia took to the road and did several tours in and around the Tri-State area of New York, as well as Arizona and Virginia. She's been on stage with hip hop greats Snoop Dogg, Lil Kim, and Jah Rule to name a few.

Coming back home to Jamaica during summer 2007 Sophia decided to concentrate on recording and from this came her biggest single to date- "Love You Pure." It is a tasteful Reggae / R&B track inspired by the everyday problems that affect the typical romantic relationship. "That song came about one day when I was talking to a friend who was going though a few challenges in his personal life. After listening, I was inspired to write about what he was going through. It was a beautiful song that in the end captivated a lot of hearts, especially of those of people going through difficult times in their love life, and now it's like a Valentine's Day Classic!"A video of the single came shortly after and eventually the song climbed to #3 on the E STRIP Video Charts. 2008 ended with Brown forging numerous distribution deals from online music retailers such as Rhapsody.com, Apple iTunes and Sprint Music Downloads. Her second official single "I'm A Rose" produced by Cell Block/Music Mecka, captured the attention of her fans while she completed her ablum. The 14-track album of course incluides "Love You Pure," "Weak To You," "I'm A Rose," as well as collaborations with Macka Diamond ("Female Thing") and Junior Kelly ("Precious").

Sophia is one award nomination closer to her dreams of a Grammy. In Feb 2009 she was nominated for an Excellence In Music award inthe category Best New Female Artist. Like they say everything in it's time, and now is definitely time for Sophia to bask in the spotlight!


Multi-tasker....dancing diva....Sophia Brown you are officially Lime certified!



Q&A

1.How long have you been singing professionally?
I have been singing professionally for 17 years. It all started when I was introduced to a record company named Outta National from California, by my very good friend Steven Stanley. That was the label that produced for Gregory Issacs, Michael Rose and Anthony Red Rose. So I was in the studio with Steven one day and he hollered out "see Wonder Girl here (I was singing under that name at the time) put her on the track." I sang on the Jig Mi song and that's how it all started.



2.How do you balance motherhood and your career?
Well it has its challenges but I manage pretty well. Being a mother is like a job in itself , so when I am on the road I communicate a lot with my kids (a boy and a girl). I help my son with his homework over the phone and I make sure I talk to them twice a day. When I'm home its work and kids and everything in one, but I truly love both being an artist and being a mother. I wouldn't change a thing.


3.If you were a tree which would you be and why?
Blue Mahoe because it is our national tree and it represents me as a Jamaican.


4. Do you have a favorite vacation spot?
Yes...St. Thomas United States Virgin Islands.I really like the warmth of the people, the brilliant sunshine, the ocean. Everything about the island just makes you feel welcome.


5. What is the high-tech gadget that you just cant live without?
My cell phone of course ....


6. Do you have a hobby?
Yes, I like to dance and chew gum... hehe.


7.If you spy on someone who would it be and why?
Denzel Washington......he is hot!!


8. Who can you call at 2AM and know they will pick up?
My two sisters Roseta and Suzette.


9.Describe your ideal man and have you met him?
A man that can cook, well kept, sense of humor is a must...have I met him..not sure.


10. What has been your greatest achievement so far?
Releasing my debut album The Spotlight.





Go With Your Gut...


11. Kiwi or tamarind?
Kiwi!

12. HGTV or MTV?
HGTV!!!

13.Knowledge or wisdom?
Wisdom.

14. Lace or leather?
Lace.

15.Which is worse a bad hair day or need a pedimani day?
Need a Pedimani day.




FINISH IT....

16.Being Jamaican means I embrace my culture to the fullest.

17. You might not believe this but I really am camera shy!!!

18. Condoms mean safe sex all the way.

19. I am most content when I'm relaxing-writing songs and listening music. That is how i come up with some good ideas for a wicked love song!

20. Sophia Brown is a Ragamuffin with a sense of purpose !



Check out her tunes "Love You Pure," "I Am A Rose and "Weak To You."




myspace.com/sophiibrown

Bookmark and Share
1 comments
  1. Unknown June 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

    Big up Sophia! Great Job Ayeola!